Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Last day of being 27

There is a reason why I called this blog 27yo.

Nobody is young forever, that I know and accept, but I do want to carry the memories of this very special year forever. Afterall, 2007 is the year that I have finally gained control of my own life. It - whatever it is - no longer tells me what to do, what to say, what to think, and how to do them, though I admit sometimes it comes creeping back in tiny doses (but it's ok sometimes we all need a break from routine).

2007's been a year of shocking revelations. About the world, people, and mostly, about myself. The mind is a powerful thing, you know, and I guess this year I finally managed to turn it on the positive.

That includes, among other things, renouncing the things I have been raised to believe in since childhood. Going to church makes me miserable, so I just stopped. Lying to my mum about going to church makes me miserable, so I just told her so. Honesty is not always the best policy, but sometimes it's the only thing that can save you from going insane with guilt.

Last night while going down the ladder of my loft bed, my foot missed a step and I fell down. My head just nearly missed one of the wooden legs of the bed and the heater. In doing so, however, I have somehow twisted my left upper arm and its adjoining shoulder. In the following five minutes that followed I just sat there shaking, too shocked to move. I was convinced I had broken something, and that it definitely wasn't the bed, nor the floor.

After the pain had subsided to the point where I was finally able to move the poor arm to lift myself off the floor, I took a sip of water - the reason why I went down from the bed at the first place - and went back up. Tucked safely back in bed, I started thinking about those people whose arms had actually been broken. Then I thought about those people who had been in serious car accidents. And then I thought about my late aunt, who died after 30 days sustaining 99% of burns to her body.

At that moment I felt lucky, very lucky. Falling down the stairs is the best birthday present I have ever given to myself.

No comments: