Friday, January 25, 2008

Living with less

Last year just before I left for Canada I made a pact with the devil. I mean myself. It was to keep my posessions to a minimum.

  • Only keep clothes, shoes, and accessories that I wear on a regular basis.
  • Only keep digital music (no more CD's but I will keep my cassettes - these things played a role in defining who I am, after all)
  • Only keep books I plan to re-read in the future, or at least those that have really changed my life (among those "The road less travelled").
  • Only have one watch.
  • Only have one bag for each occasion.
  • Get rid of obsolete mementos (for example, pictures of ex-boyfriends older than 5 years old; the pictures, not the ex-boyfriends).

I haven't applied myself to these rules religiously, especially on Boxing Day when I treated myself to no less than 5 new t-shirts. I'm still struggling with the concept of 'less is more'. But I'm not giving up. Come February, I will clean up my old room (which will be up for rent). I'm turning over a new leaf.

No comments: